All the cars built after 2014 comes with smart car keys, also called car remote or car key fob.
However, KIA cars built between 2011 and till date also have a smart key without an automatic button.
What is a Car Remote Key or Key Fob?
Car remote keys are small electronic devices that come with modern cars to remotely lock and unlock cars.
A car key fob can remotely start the car engine, open or close car doors, roll up and down the car windows, activate the panic alarm, etc.
Features of Car Key Fob
I’m sure many of us are very familiar with car remote keys, they are very easy to use as one can easily lock and unlock one’s car without getting into the car.
- Lock and unlock the car remotely: With a car key fob, you can lock and unlock your car doors and trunk without getting near the car.
- Remote start your car: Car key fobs allow you to start your car engine remotely. This makes it easy to start your car in the winter or to warm up your car without getting inside the car.
- You can remotely roll car windows: Key fobs can be used to roll up and roll down car windows remotely. It makes it easy to pick up things from the car from outside without opening your car door.
- Alarm system: The car key fob also has an alarm button that you can press to activate your car’s alarm. This can be used to scare people away from getting near your car or when your car has been stolen.
- Trunk control: smart car keys have a button you can press to open your car trunk remotely.
- Built-in flashlight: Most modern car key fobs have a small flashlight built into the remote.
- Proximity sensing: Some car remotes can detect when a person with the key fob gets close to the car and will automatically unlock the car doors as you approach using the key fob
How to Start KIA Optima Car with Remote Key?
As I’ve said you can remote start KIA optima 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2019 cars with the key fob.
You can turn on your KIA Optima climate system from outside the car by pressing the start button on the Remote.
To do this, the following steps are required to remotely start and stop your car engine.
- First, you need to press the lock button one time and wait for the hazard light to blink and alert you.
- Then, press the start button on the key fob and hold for 2 seconds to start the car ignition system.
- Hazard lights will start blicking after the car gets the start. In case you want to stop the engine, then do the same process again.
Remember, if the climate system turns off before the engine stops, it will not operate when you start the car with the Remote. Therefore, always ensure that climate control is always on.
How to Start KIA Optima without Key Fob?
A key fob is a small remote device that ensures keyless entry in your KIA Optima car.
You will hear an alert sound of your car’s unlocking mechanism whenever you press the buttons on your keys.
However, there is nothing to worry about if your key fob is not working since you can turn on the KIA optima with a dead key fob and without the key fob.
You can start the can manually by using the keys. First, ensure that your car is on neutral, then insert the key in the car and start the ignition; this way, your car will start effortlessly.
However, in case you have a car with a push start button, then you have to contact the mechanic or change the battery of your key fob as soon as possible.
How to Turn on KIA Optima with Dead Key Fob?
If your KIA optima key fob is dead and you want to start your car, you can start the car manually, but before then, you should try the following steps.
Try the backup key
KIA Optima come with a physical backup key inside the key fob. If the key fob is dead, you can remove the hidden physical key by sliding or pulling the release button on the keyring loop.
You can now use the key to unlock your car door and start your Kia optima as you would with a regular car key.
Change the battery in the Key fob
If the first method fails, it may be that the key fob battery is dead already, then you can replace it with a new battery.
Kia key fobs use CR2025 or CR2032 batteries, and you can get them at any quality electronics store online or offline, or car accessories shop.
To change the key fob dead battery, open the key fob case by prying the case with a flathead screwdriver or press the release button, then remove the old battery and replace it with a new one.
Use the emergency start procedure
If your Kia optima have a push-button start system, you can also use this method to start the car.
Sit in the car, put the shift lever in “P” (Park), hold the key fob close to the Start/Stop button, and press and hold the button for a few seconds.
Once the car starts, you can release the Start/Stop button and the car key fob, otherwise, press and hold for at least ten seconds and then repeat the procedure.